Sunday, April 10, 2011

Broccoli a Pasteta - Cauliflower Croquettes


Although I published this post a few months ago, we had eaten them so fast I missed the opportunity to photograph them.  Having remade them today, I photographed them and am republishing this one.

Broccoli a Pasteta is one of my favorite side dishes. Growing up in an Italian home, these were on the table pretty often during a Sunday meal. Try these and you'll have a new found love of cauliflower. And yes, cauliflower in Sicilian is called broccoli! Go figure.


You'll need:

1 large (or 2 small) head of cauliflower rough chopped and steamed
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cloves garlic minced
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano, grated
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup hot water
salt and pepper
1/2 cup olive oil


Steam cauliflower, then rough chop to bite size pieces. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, flour, garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water so that batter becomes slightly more dense than pancake batter.

On medium-low heat, add oil in a 10 inch skillet coating bottom of the pan. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to form croquettes. You can fit 4 croquettes at a time. Cook until golden brown, turn and cook another few minutes. Add a little more oil to the pan if needed and repeat with the remaining batter.

Makes 24 croquettes

Print

15 comments:

  1. Yum!! Have you ever tried it with broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia.. I follow Gina.. now I'm following you... I just made this tonight and they are amazing. Zucchini would be great, I bet, too. I'm Middle Eastern and if I didn't know better, I would think I'm italian. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, funny you say that. I have many friends who if I close my eyes, I would think were Italians too! Glad you tried these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried these tonight and they are good. I also tried baking some. Not the same, but maybe a lower fat option. Have you ever baked/broiled instead of fried?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi anonymous, I did try baking these once. They weren't good at all. My kids wouldn't eat them and neither would I !!! Skinnytaste.com sautéed them in a tiny bit of oil and repotted them to be very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long do you steam your cauliflower and mine fell apart the first time, should I add breadcrumbs or more flour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Less water or larger eggs will help bind them if they were falling apart. Medium eggs versus jumbo may be the culprit. Try the jumbo eggs next time. I steam them till a fork inserted goes in and out easily. So sorry they didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is your "PIN" button?

    ReplyDelete
  9. what about mixing cauliflower and broccoli together and frying them like patties

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nourishments that fit into this classification really help you to get more fit normally.broccoli koken

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isothiocyanates are a type of phytonutrient known to prevent cancer and to help fight against cancer.Grass Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you have these it's only a question of finding a territory to develop them in and setting up the dirt their with manure and compost. https://www.healthpally.com/sushi-rolls/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Broccoli, an old food that existed during the Roman Empire, is something we actually appreciate today. It has been around for quite a long time, advanced toward Europe and afterward was at last acquainted with the North American eating regimen around 300 years prior. Calabrese broccoli

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so lovely! Gr. Sam from https://kookbode.nl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...