Monday, October 31, 2011

Mezzi Rigatoni Pesto with Arugula



More pasta, less guilt.... Thats my motto!  Add a huge amount of arugula to your Pasta with Pesto and now you have an antioxidant and fiber rich meal with less calories per bowl and lots more taste!  Coming home to 6 hungry people, I often make a quick pasta for dinner. Tonight was one of those nights. Although fast, this delicious healthful dish is loaded with fiber and vitamins. At times I have pignoli nuts on hand and other times I don't. This recipe doesn't call for them, but you can add a 1/4 cup if you have them. That's the beauty of cooking, for me at least, I can always create a great meal with whatever is in my fridge, substituting one thing for another.
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb pasta, I used calamarata which looks like calamari
  • 2.5 ozs of fresh basil...or a cup and a half of basil, stems off
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1 small clove of garlic or a half of a medium clove
  • 1/4 cup Philly cream cheese ( I know it's not Italian, but bear with me)
  • 5 ozs. of arugula, or a few handfuls
  • Salt to taste, I added 1/4 teaspoon
Instructions:
 
Cook pasta according to directions on box.
While pasta is cooking, in a food processor, add basil and oil, mix.
Add remaining ingredients, except arugula into oil and basil, mix in processor.
Once pasta is cooked, drain and place into a serving bowl with arugula and spoon in all the pesto. Mix well
Serve and enjoy!
 
Servings: 6
Print

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm always looking for new ways to cook with arugula, and I will definitely be saving this recipe for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, this really looks great. I'm new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...